Friday 26 October 2018

To Celebrate the publication of Keith and Heidi's new book....

...well, officially it's the second edition of the brilliant Older Yet Faster.  And although the foundation on technique and the potential outcomes are the same, the book is so new, and so significantly updated, that in my humble opinion, it's basically new!!  Congratulations to Keith and Heidi, I hope this is as successful as it deserves to be.  


I see it's out in print and on Kindle from Amazon in the UK.

On the running front, I made a bit of a mistake way back in April.  Elated at my 800m indoor personal best, and feeling invincible, I went straight into summer speed training with my training family (the Jon Tilt 400m group here at Southampton AC).  This led to a 4:49 mile at the British Master's Championship at the end of May: a silver medal to another Adrian Haines victory.

However, it turns out I was not invincible.  Who knew?  The lack of a spring season tempo run build up, progressing straight from slow winter base miles into summer speed, put incredible pressure on my ageing ligaments, and I hobbled away from that mile race. 

I stuck on a vest and shorts, and enjoyed the long, hot summer we had in the UK this year.

Fast forward to last weekend, and following some good miles in August and September, but not much speed work again yet, I managed a 60:28 at the Great South Run.  My aim of starting the Winter base phase in good shape, AND IN GOOD FORM, is in the bag...



2 comments:

  1. David - I have read all your blogs from the start. I must congratulate you on your amazing transformation and journey. This blog will certainly help me as planning to do a barefoot transition slowly. You have been patience with your progress and it's great to learn a lot from you. "Never Give Up" attitude what makes you strong. Congratulations on your super performances in past & going forward.
    A big thanks to Keith and Heidi OYF Fb blog. Cheers.
    - Pragnesh from India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pragnesh - thank you for your kind comments. And good luck with your journey. I am very pleased that you have identified patience as the key, because this is the most important quality. By definition, we are all keen, engaged runners (we wouldn't be paying attention to our style if we weren't) and that can mean that we try to adapt too quickly sometimes. But as with all things in life, taking the time to invest is so important! All the best, let us know how you get on.

    P.S. if you are on facebook, there is a great discussion group called OYF Running - here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/olderyetfaster/

    ReplyDelete